How We Started


A little history on scentsandstuff - http://www.scentsandstuff.com

We started many years ago with markets and at home parties.  I have a love/hate relationship with markets – while some love selling at markets, we felt it was mostly 8 hours of wasted time.  There were markets that we did well at and some were a complete loss. 

When I started this venture, I was barely making ends meet, using a credit card to make it through the month.  We decided to work some markets for extra cash, but deciding on the product is the most important part.  We decided to start with something that if we got stuck with, could be of use.  I found a wholesaler of fragrance oil lamps and fragrance oils and decided to start there, working all week and spending every weekend at the market.  There was not a lot of competition when we started, but we started prior to the big Scentsy boom. 

Once Scentsy and other competitors hit hard, we hit quit a few markets in a row that bombed, then the major farmers market we sold at bottomed out.  We had to find another avenue, so I found a free website server and set up my own website, just to see how it went. 


We had quit a few repeat customers at the market that contacted us, looking for product and ordered through my site.  One of my customers was interested in body products, in one of the scents that I carried.  This is the moment, 7 years ago, that we branched out from Home Fragrance and added Body Products.  I eventually branched out into Ebay and Etsy, with Ebay being a large part of my business.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Scents and Opportunities for Free Product

Aromatherapy

Product Giveaway Winner For October!!